Friday, March 20, 2009

Yard Sale Find!

You’ll probably be seeing a lot of these posts over the next few months. I love yard sales and look forward to spending my Saturday mornings hitting all the sales in my area. My mother who is 84 also loves them and is firmly planted in the passenger seat bright & early on Saturday mornings. I can't go without her and if I did, she'd be pretty disappointed as she doesn't like to miss out on them. It was actually her that got me hooked on them many years ago.

Last summer I found a Kodak Easy Share digital camera at a yard sale for $3. It has 5.0 mega pixels and it also came with the original box, the docking station, cables and all the necessary software. The only thing that was missing was the 5 volt adapter for the docking station so that you could hook it up to the computer & recharge the batteries. Of course….that was what you needed to work the camera.

The camera was already fully charged when I bought it & I had taken pictures with it so that the card was full. Unfortunately it wasn't until I went to download the pictures when I realized that there wasn’t an adapter. So I was left with a full card & dead batteries.

I looked all over for a 5 volt adapter and sadly they aren’t that easy to find in my area. I could have ordered one online from Kodak but the shipping was outrageous.

Since I pretty much had given up on finding an adapter, I ended up buying an Olympus FE-20 8.0 mp digital camera last week that I found on sale. I already have an Olympus SLR digital camera but wanted something small that I can carry around in my purse. Normally I don't take my SLR with me until it's a family get together or I go someplace special.

So yesterday I stopped in a local store to see if I could get a picture card for my new Olympus camera and wouldn’t you know it, they had a universal 5 volt adapter. So of course I bought it too! I couldn’t wait to try it out and it works perfectly. I was able to recharge the battery on the Kodak camera and download my pictures from last summer.

So now I have TWO small cameras that will both fit in my purse. lol I probably could take the Olympus camera back but with all the running around that I did to find a picture card for it and a new camera bag for it, I’ve decided to keep it. Plus I like the quality of pictures from it. I’m not too concerned about having 2 small cameras as DS has been eyeballing the Kodak camera since I brought it home last summer. He has a camera on his cell phone but also wanted a small digital camera that he could carry around in his pocket. DS is thrilled that I’m giving him the Kodak camera. Since I've gotten the new picture card & adapter for it, all he has to do is take pictures. lol.

It’s still a little early for yard sales. The yard sales here in Ontario, Canada tend to start around April and run until about the end of September. I can’t wait for Yard Sale “season” to begin and for the next great find.

This picture is one of the reasons that I want a little camera to carry in my purse. I want to be able to capture moments like this. The little things that make me smile. This adorable dog was "smiling" at me from the vehicle next to mine in the parking lot yesterday. How can you not look at this face & smile. He sure looks like he was smiling at me. lol

I hope that you'll find something that makes you smile today. Have a great day & thanks for looking.

1 comment:

Bonnie Weiss said...

Among the many titles you hold as "Queen Of", you are definately the monarch of Yard Sales! I am always in awe of what you find and what you pay for things.

This Boxer puppy is just so sweet and I bet he rides all over the place with his human. Now that the nicer weather is here, I can take my puppies with me again too. But they never sit still like this little guy!